Thursday, April 26, 2012

30 Day Paleo Challenge: Day 1


Today marks the first day of my 30 days of living Paleo.  My husband and I have been eating what I would call a 75% Paleo lifestyle for about 2 years and even though we both can see the benefits of eating this way it has been really hard to give up things like bread, cheese, beer, and rice.  Knowing the benefits as well as not feeling as good about myself as I did when we first met has lead me to a personal challenge.  30 days of a strict Paleo diet.  I am a bread lover who is jumping in 100% fully committed to this lifestyle choice and this is my journey to what I hope will be a success.

What are my goals?  In order to explain this I feel some background information on me will help.
I met my husband three years ago and in that time I have gained somewhere around 30lbs.  The reason I say “somewhere” is because 4 months ago I decided all scales in the house needed to go.  I was addicted to weighing myself.  When I say addicted I literally mean that every day I weighed myself at a minimum of 3 times a day and if I didn’t weigh myself I would get incredibly anxious until I could find a scale to jump on.  Obviously, this was incredibly unhealthy as well as unproductive and so the only way I was able to kick the addiction was when we moved. The scales were packed and once they were found my husband immediately threw them in the trash.  This may be extreme but my attachment was something I still can’t quite find the words for. This leads to my first and most obvious reason for my challenge.

1. To Lose Weight

No this will not be something I will be able to measure on a scale due to the fact I am fearful I may fall back into my old unhealthy habits and obsession.  So, this will have to be measured by how tight or hopefully how loose my clothing fits. If I can manage to be brave enough I will take a before picture tonight and an after picture in 30 days. This leads to my 2nd goal:

2. To feel confident and happy in my body

Going from wearing a size 2 to now a size 10 has done some serious damage to my confidence.  Even though my husband thinks I am beautiful and wonderful, the idea of being able to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see again pushes me forward towards my challenge.

3. To have more energy

I work out.  When I say this I don’t mean I have a gym membership and go maybe once every two weeks and am still confused as to why I am not more fit.  I go to Yoga 3 times a week as well as run 4 miles 2-3 times a week.  On top of all of this I still walk the dogs every day around 2 miles.  So being active is not something new to me. Working out has been a way of life for me since I was a little girl.  I used to be a year round club swimmer and did so for a very long time as well as became an avid runner in college running up to 6 miles a day at one point.  I have tried crossfit, which my husband absolutely adores and does all the time and truly believe it is an amazing sport (which also lead to research into Paleo and sparked his original interest which lead to my participation).

So when I talk about wanting to have more energy what I mean is, I don’t want to feel that automatic shut down after every meal.  I want to be more energized to continue my day with a smile.  Perhaps have a little more bounce in my step?!

My daily struggles, triumphs, questions, research, etc. are all going to be part of my 30 day challenge and all of which I will be blogging about.  And so to end my first entry with how my first day has been going

Day 1:
Coffee with almond milk:
I definitely missed my morning coffee with milk and sugar but if you have a decent roast and brand of coffee then it really isn’t so bad.  Also the almond milk wasn’t bad but definitely is not as creamy  as regular milk so don’t try to trick yourself into thinking it is.

Chipotle Chicken Salad:
An amazing place where you can get a D-lish meal and stay Paleo!  I ordered the chicken salad with salsa and guacamole.  No cheese, sour cream, beans, rice, or corn.  I used to order this salad with sour cream and I can honestly say I didn’t miss it today!  Perhaps that will change on day 10?

Salad: Romaine lettuce with avocado, cucumber, red bell pepper, and a plain balsamic vinegar dressing:
This is not anything new for me.  My husband and I often start dinner off with a salad.  Often times I don't put lettuce but because I felt I needed more actual food I added in romaine lettuce.  I am also not a big salad dressing fan hence the balsamic.  If you really love dressing I recommend this one.  About 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard mixed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.  It helps to make this in a small Tupperware so when you go to mix it you just close the lid and shake it over the sink.

Home made Paleo Pesto Chicken:
We first seared the chicken in a frying pan using coconut oil after which poured the home made pesto over the top and finished it by baking it in the oven.

Here is the Paleo Pesto recipe : * I did NOT use Parmesan cheese and it was still yummy!

Finally, we had lightly boiled green beans (3 minutes) lightly tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

The pesto is my new best friend for dishes and is super easy to make if you have a Cuisinart! 

Websites that are useful and interesting:
This is a great place to start!  There is even a section that tells you what the biggest reasons are for people failing which I think if you are aware of you can hopefully avoid.

Day 1 completed! 29 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment