Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 2 of 30

It is day 2 of my paleo challenge and I have to admit, I am tired and lightheaded.  Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely still staying super positive and have had no cravings to eat a baguette with cheese or a whole bag of Gold Fish crackers but was a little bummed that my 3 mile run today was a lot harder then usual.  I understand that my body is detoxing but was still caught off guard and of course research did ensue.

First things first, to be fair, my run may have been slightly more tasking then usual due to the fact that I literally got home from vacation the day before yesterday.  While on vacation I ate what I wanted and certainly drank whatever I wanted (this was not a week of 75% paleo. More like 0%).  This is not to say I binged all day and night but I wasn't about to feel bad about having a Mai Tai or chips and dip when I was away with friends in Hawaii.  That said, I did a little research this morning after I had a major head rush and found that being light headed and slightly lethargic when beginning this process is normal.  Here is the link:

http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/06-07/paleo-for-the-active-person/

One thing that was mentioned in the article is that carbs are NOT bad!  Especially if you are an athlete and not eating enough carbs while being paleo can actually hinder your performance.  

"If you’re an active person – that could include anyone from a city dweller who walks 5 miles a day to someone who’s training for a marathon – you may just need more carbohydrates if you’re failing on the Paleo diet." -Neely Quinn

Granted, this does not mean that processed carbs are all of a sudden ok or that you can just go and eat as much fruit as you want but it does mean that this is not a diet/lifestyle that is all meat and veggies and everything else in the world of food is bad.  Do you even know what a carbohydrate actually is?  I certainly didn't know nor did I even really think about it until I read the article.

The point is, even though I am on day 2 of 30 and am feeling slightly off does not mean I am going to give up.  There are answers to questions and/or concerns as you go along and I hope that through this blog I can not only support others who are doing the same thing but also find support for myself.

Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs with sauteed onion and mushrooms.  Sausage patties found at Whole Foods Market "Mulays" (completely paleo friendly and really tasty)

Snack:
Pink Lady Apple
After my run I felt like I could fall over and water was not helping so I ate the apple.  It took about 15 minutes but after which I was feeling much much better but boy was I glad I ate it.  I never would have thought to bring one with me if I hadn't done a little research this morning!

Lunch:
Chipotle Chicken Salad
Yes,... again!  Not on purpose mind you but because I met up with a girlfriend who didn't realize I was going paleo and this seemed like the easiest way both of us could enjoy lunch!

Cocktail:
Tequila, Lime, and coconut water!
Tastes like a margarita without being too sweet!
Yes there are Paleo alcoholic beverages and I will absolutely be making sure to test them out seeing as I won't be able to drink wine for a while!

Dinner:
Salad
Same as the night before minus the avocado
Seared sea scallops
Trip tip roast
Broiled asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Desert
Blueberries
Nut Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment