Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 3 of 30

Day 3!

One thing I can definitely say is that you need to drink A LOT of WATER!  As my body is re-learning how to digest and become more efficient, I am finding that as long as I am consistently hydrated I feel much better.  Now, this could be just a good rule for anyone who eats in any particular way but remember, I am only on day three and I still feel like my body is detoxing.  Perhaps it is just a psychological thing but I feel like I am flushing out the bad and only putting in the good.  Sometimes finding the small things to keep you motivated is all it takes.  Other days of course the big things will be needed which is why I recommend doing this challenge with someone else or at least be chatting about it with some friends who are supportive.

On another note, I was thinking about how easy it can be to just do very basic cooking with this diet from an early stage.  Coming from someone who does NOT like to cook I can tell you it is worth checking out some fairly easy but tasty recipes. What I mean is, don't just start off eating a boiled egg for breakfast, salad for lunch with nothing on it, and just a sauteed chicken breast with salt and pepper for dinner.  This could lead to failure pretty quickly due to being bored with what you eat.  Leave the easy, plain, and low maintenance cooking for the days where you just absolutely can't stand to be in the kitchen for long or if you just run out of time and are all out of left overs.

There are a lot of great websites that have really easy (again, coming from someone who HATES cooking and gets completely stressed out in the kitchen) recipes!  I will make sure to share the ones that I find useful and where I might make variations!  I also think there are some tools and tips that can make cooking a lot easier. Such as:
- Non stick pan (just one can make a huge difference when cooking but make sure to only use wood or plastic utensils when cooking in this pan!  Otherwise you scrape off or scratch the bottom and defeat the purpose of the non stick)
-Cuisinart food processor (I make pesto, cauliflower rice, and so much more in this one machine)!
-Tupperware that doesn't leak (so you can pack a lunch or take snacks and not worry.)
- Coconut Oil (one jar will last a LONG time even if you cook with it ALL the time! So don't skimp on this product that can make your food taste better and is something other than olive oil to cook with)


Breakfast:
1/2 avocado
Scrambled eggs
Sausage patties

Lunch:
Salad
-romaine
-hearts of palm
-pine nuts
-carrots
Salami
Also an item I found at Whole Foods Market.  Applegate Farms Genoa Salami. If you like a little kick then try the spicy flavor!

Snack:
Apple
Blueberries
small handful of cashews (even though nuts are a great source of fat you want to be careful not to totally chow down on them due to the high calorie content)

Dinner:
Lamb Stew
- My Husband made this yesterday while he was making the tri tip roast!  It is a great thing to make the night before and keeps well in the fridge for later meals you don't really feel like cooking!  Just scoop into a bowl and enjoy!  Here is a website with a great recipe.  Feel free to try different veggies or even meat in it.  We certainly do.
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/hearty-beef-stew/

Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower is something you are going to find in ALOT of paleo cookbooks.  It is an extremely versatile veggie and even works as a replacement for mashed potatoes!  There are a lot of paleo friendly recipes out there but the most basic way to make it is as follows
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Chop into small pieces
- put small pieces into a Cuisinart food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped (or when it looks like rice!)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- melt coconut oil into a frying pan
-saute cauliflower until starting to brown
-enjoy under stews, in soups, as a side with a little salt, pepper, spices, etc! The ideas are limitless

Cocktail:
Paleo Margarita!
-tequila
-coconut juice
-lime lime LIME!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment