Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 10 of 30

Day 10!
Happy Cinco De Mayo Everyone! 

Today is a great day for a party which also means tequila! We have made sure to stock up on some really fabulous ones considering it is the only alcohol I am aloud to drink until after day 30!  Be careful however since we all know what happens when one night of too much tequila turns into a lifetime of hating the stuff!

One thing is for sure, I am not going to let paleo stop me from enjoying food and drink on a day like today (or any other day for that matter) and you shouldn't either.  No, I am not saying I am just going to go out and eat Non-paleo Mexican-tastic foods like tortilla chips or queso dip.  Don't forget tacos or perhaps a full on sugary margarita!  I am talking about enjoying Mexican food PALEO STYLE!

Paleo Tortilla Chips
Chips! JOY!!
I have mentioned before the importance of variety and fun with the food you eat especially when eating a paleo diet.  Especially for a strict paleo diet, using holidays, even if they are not the ones you celebrate normally as inspiration for new and different ideas is a great way to keep motivated and moving forward with paleo.  If I didn't have variety and was eating the same thing every night I know I would fail.

So far, I am doing really well and even though today is a day that would be a really easy "fall off the bandwagon" kind of day, I want to show you that it is possible to enjoy really tasty food and not feel left out from what everyone else is eating.  Not to mention that you won't be hungover OR bloated tomorrow which is not what most of your friends can probably say! Or at least mine!

Here are a few links to some really great recipes for paleo friendly Mexican food! I hope the pictures help entice your appetites!

Paleo Tortilla Chips:
http://www.barbellsandbacon.com/2009/09/paleo-%E2%80%98tortilla%E2%80%99-chips/
Tortilla-less soup
Doesn't this look AMAZING!

Tortilla-LESS soup:
http://fastpaleo.com/chicken-tortilla-less-soup/

Paleo Enchilada:
YUM!

Don't forget to make some yummy guacamole, salsa, and even lettuce cup tacos (which we ate last night) with your choice of ground meat! Also, are you in the mood for fajitas and as I have noticed and commented on before, there is sugar in a lot of the store bought packages which is such a bummer?  A bummer no more that is until you try my home made version which my husband thinks is way better.  The amount I am giving you to make should make about 3 store bought packages worth and is super easy to store in a small Tupperware or plastic baggy.

2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. paprika
1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cumin
  
For one portion of this mix I use 1-1/2 lbs of ground meat.  Cook completely in a frying pan and then pour out fat.  Mix the seasoning in a separate bowl with 1/2-1 cup of hot water (I generally eyeball it) and stir until dissolved (or almost) then pour it in to your meat and let it cook together for another minute or two.  When done, pour all of the meat and seasoning juices into a serving bowl and enjoy with lettuce cups (ice burg lettuce works the best)!

Breakfast:
Scrambled Eggs
-left over fajita mix ground turkey
-left over veggie mix

Lunch:
Left over home made Thai Green Chicken Curry

Snack:
no peanuts in the nut butter!  SOOOO GOOD!
1 Tbs nut butter. No Peanuts! Peanuts are not actually a nut but are in fact a legume and are not considered paleo friendly.  My husband found this at Whole Foods Market but you can also find it pretty easily online.  I will admit however,when I first tasted it I was not impressed but after stirring it and leaving it in the fridge to harden a little bit I am so happy I found it!  If you haven't noticed already I eat some of this almost every single day.  *Warning: It is super expensive!

1 small fuji apple

Dinner:
A BBQ is a necessity when cooking Paleo. Sometimes all you need is a little fire and some tasty meat! Yum-tastic caveman style
BBQ Chicken Pieces
Giant Salad Galore!
-French baby lettuce 
-Cucumber
-Avocado
-Hearts of Palm
-Tomatoes
-Home made vinaigrette
BBQ Portabella Mushrooms with Garlic

Spread some crushed garlic on these bad boys and cook them on the BBQ! 

Cocktail:
Paleo Margarita
-Coconut juice
-LIME
-Tequila

Desert:
Blueberries


I hope you all had a fun and tasty Cinco De Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment