Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My absence explained

Some of you may be wondering where I have been for the past couple of months.  Turns out.... I am expecting my first baby boy in February.  This might not answer the question for all of you so I will explain.

The moment I found out I was pregnant, which was a little over a month after going strict paleo, I was super excited and ready to take on this new task of pregnant mama while staying paleo. I started doing research on Paleo Mama's and was getting geared up for the next nine months. Unfortunately, I was super sick the first three months and had an incredibly strong protein aversion of which I am still in the process of getting over.  I know... I know... it seems totally strange for those who have never been pregnant or for those who were able to stay completely paleo during their pregnancy.  For me however, I didn't feel like I had a choice.

I felt like a failure and was not only feeling sick from being pregnant but also feeling sad about the junk I was putting into my body; not to mention guilty because it actually made my nausea go away.  It wasn't like I just gave up on paleo.  I really did try to stay as close as I could for as long as I could by eating gluten free crackers and re-introduced dairy into my diet (via cream cheese) as slowly as I could.  Unfortunately, it felt like a gateway drug that just opened the floodgates and I found myself just looking for a way to stop the nausea and feed my growing baby.

So here I am 21.5 weeks pregnant and starting to finally think about getting back on the paleo track.  It is proving to be a slow process and one in which I am minding with care so as to not totally shock my system.  Especially now that I am feeling better about being in the kitchen again and can finally cook a full meal without getting sick from my raw meat aversions as well as aversions to many other foods in the kitchen, I know I can get to where I want to be (totally paleo) before the baby is born.  I will keep you updated on this step of the journey and hopefully this will be a reminder to us all that we are human and sometimes stuff happens in life that throws us off the horse but if you are anything like me, you will throw yourself back on as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment